Thursday, August 7, 2008

Another post tournament ramble


I've been having extra crappy days post VMDC. I wonder if this is just one of my usual tournament hangovers, or if the sudden jolt of reality took me by surprise - and made me realize how boring my life must've been before its temporary suspension in Ilo-Ilo. I still wake up hoping to find myself in Sarabia, and see BJ sleeping soundly on the next bed, waiting for me to tell him it's his turn to take a bath.

I'd like to think I'm not alone expriencing this bitter depression, but something tells me that it's just me who has yet to recover. It's been 4 days since VMDC"s conclusion - and unlike the other debaters who can now go back to studies and jobs they put on hold, I am left with little to do, and nothing to look forward to. Ugh. I seriously need to get a life.

I miss the adj core - Sharms and her outfits, Cyris and her funny, crazy hirits, Aids and his semi-dirty jokes (haha), BJ and his very revealing stories, and Andrew and his nogness/gayness (LOL). Of course all five of them were great - I learned a lot from them, given their experience and achievements (and age, haha). I really didn't expect them all to be so accommodating of a beginner like me. But they were. And I'm grateful. =)

I miss the debaters. I loved looking at their expressions when match ups were flashed, when motions were released. You could almost feel the rush from everyone when they disperse, to start prepping with their teammates and recalling who compose the teams they were up against. The convening room would be noisier than ever, and the adjudicators would stay behind to wait for room assignments. And the adj core would share a laugh or two before heading to the debate rooms.

I miss adjing. I had a blast
seeing the new blood in action and listening to solid speeches from already established debaters. Having to give wins and losses was difficult, but I gladly took on the challenge and tried to perfect my oral adjudication. Although it was torture, I waited for the adj feedback forms, hoping I didn't disappoint anyone enough to give me less than a 3.

I miss cheering people on - especially the Silliman teams.

I miss the bonding moments - the games we played, the beers and non-alcoholic cocktails (haha) we drank, the places we went to, and the stories we shared.

Gahhhd. I miss everything about that tournament. How I wish I could go back to Ilo-Ilo easily and still see everyone there. People leaving one by one the morning after the Championship night was really hard to swallow. That was when it dawned on me that it was all over.

Clyde and I were supposed to stay another night, but changed our minds. Now I have to wait months before the next complete debate experience.

Ugh, I have to go back to sulking now. =(

No comments: